Monday, September 5, 2016

What I Watched: Hands of Stone

http://www.fandango.com/handsofstone_191532/movieoverview
*may include spoilers*

I am not going to lie, I went into this thinking I was going to see more of Sugar Ray Leonard (played by R&B superstar, Usher Raymond). Although there was limited screen time for Usher, I did enjoy the movie. Following the story of famed Panamanian boxer, Roberto Duran, we get to see a glimpse into the life and struggles the boxer faced to become a champion.

What I liked...
I enjoyed learning more about the history of Panama and it's relations to United States about the territorial dispute regarding the Panama Canal. Also, learning about boxing's early ties to the Mob and NYC was very interesting. I think that Edgar Ramirez played the outspoken, defiant and sometimes crass boxer very well. Usher was a perfect choice  as Sugar Ray. Of course, Robert De Niro shined as Ray Arcel, Duran's trainer.

What I disliked...
I really thought this movie was about Sugar Ray, forgive me if I didn't read more about it but it wasn't marketed about Duran. I definitely wished they made the focus more about the Leonard-Duran rivalry. Also, I would of like to know more about Leonard, who is the perfect antagonist for Duran. The American golden boy vs. the Panamanian underdog who despised everything American, who fought three times and ended up friends. I didn't really understand the need for Usher's sex scene, but okay.

Would I spend money on this again...
Nope. Wait for Redbox.

This movie is definitely not for kids. All in all, it was a good condensed telling of Roberto Duran's story. I would love to see a full Sugar Ray movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

//